The most prominent feature from the 20th Century can be viewed at the summit of Garway Hill in the form of an octagonal laid brick wall, approximately 2m high and 7m in diameter and standing upon a concrete foundation with a further eight individual concrete support foundations.

Identified as a Second World War Radio Tracking Station, it was erected in 1942 by order of the Royal Air Force. The whole station stood approximately 8m high, the mixed brick and concrete foundations having supported a timber built tower not unlike that of a windmill. The photograph shown on this page is beleived to be the only one in existence which shows the full structure.

Directly south and west of the tracking tower site are the remains of two foxholes/trenches and a square trench which surrounds the structure shows where a fire-break trench was dug.To the northeast, on the down slope of the hill, are the remains of the barrack blocks. these are similarly surrounded by firebreak earthworks . The foundations of the barrack block are all that remain following its demolition during the 1970's. On the edge of the Common boundary, there are also the remains of the generator block consisting of a concrete foundation with evidence of collapsed brick walls scattered on the interior.

The upper part of the tower was dismantled in 1948, leaving the brick and concrete base as an enigmatic trace of its brief existence.

A fuller account of the history of the tracking station can be found in the book "The River Running By" by Joan Fleming-Yates (ISBN 1 905037 05 8) which describes in great detail the historical aspects of Garway and other places in the Monnow valley.